Now that the Summer semester is well and truly over, I can post the book evaluations that I wrote for the Multicultural Materials class without fear of self-plagiarism issues. What I am going to do is post each evaluation as an entry and link to them all here for easy access.
Part of the assignment required that I consider ways to incorporate the books in a library or media center collection, and design activities using the texts.
These are the books that I selected for the written part of the assignment. Though I read many great selections, these were the ones that I most enjoyed.
- The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox
- An Amish Paradox: Diversity and Change in the World’s Largest Amish Community by Charles E. Hurst, David L. McConnell
- The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe Martin and David Shannon
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
- Cuba 15 by Nancy Osa
- Goy Crazy by Melissa Schorr
- Does My Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah
- Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
- Wild Orchid by Beverley Brenna
- April and the Dragon Lady by Lensey Namioka
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and Annie on my Mind are two of the best YAs I’ve read in a while